Earlier this week, one of my new professors, Dr. Costa, provided my class with one of the best descriptions of the difference between physical therapy and occupational therapy. Really, there are many ways you could explain the difference between the two professions, though, I REALLY liked hers which was:"The difference is, physical therapist teach people how to walk.......occupational therapist teach how to dance."

This quote, obviously, is a metaphor (really, OTs don't do dance lessons), BUT it is an excellent way of describing how both professions can compliment each other. Also that OTs can help an individual, with a disability or condition, advance and expand a daily skill into something elegant and to view it as such. I think from now on when someone asks me what occupational therapy is or how do they differ from physical therapists, this will be my new answer! I LOVE dancing, I LOVE the fact that one day I will be an occupational therapist, and I LOVE this answer! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment